Built in 1899 by Joseph Weatherston, the Avenue Hotel was popular with the Bicycle Touring Club as it was one of the only temperance hotels in Berwick-upon-Tweed. Their “winged wheel” symbol still adorns the front above the present sign.
From memory it closed in the (early?) 1980s. The upstairs is now the Elizabethan Town House guest house accessed from Greenside Avenue behind the walls. The ground floor was until recently the Co-op travel agency. Sidey Court, named after Cllr Leslie Sidey, Mayor of Berwick in 1980, is home to Sinners Cafe. Here are some before and after pictures.